Saturday, September 26, 2009

First Week at UCSD

Thanks for starting this blog, Tim. And thanks to those who shared their prayer requests. I guess I'll do the same. I'll try to be brief since I'm trying to get into the habit of going to bed earlier (one aspect in my life for which you can pray).

Having spent a week at UCSD, I can say that it is a different environment from the one at home. Most notably, I'm living in a suite with people whose priorities and sense of morality differ from mine. Accordingly, there are many temptations (bad ones): going over to the girls' suite after certain hours; not following the housing rules when living right across from our R.A.; things of that nature. But, to me, worst of all is that some guys in my suite, without my consent, lined the suite (the living room, a BATHROOM STALL, closet) with inappropriate posters of women in erotic poses. I want to be bold; I want to tell my suite that I don't agree with what they did, and why I don't agree. I want to tell them why I am a Christian.

Another thing, brief context: I went to a Large Group meeting for InterVarsity. Please pray that I will be open to multitudes of opportunities for experiencing and serving God on campus, that I will recognize and embrace them. Pray that I will be open to what God wants to do with me here on this campus.

Please also pray for my diligence in school. I do sometimes feel that I am incapable of doing what I had been able to do previously, academically at least. Yeah. Please pray that I will manage my time wisely-- there is FAR TOO MUCH time in college.

Okay, I'm sleepy. Please pray that I can regulate my sleep schedule as well. I should go to bed. Good night.

Edit (tired, but just remembered): Pray that I can get settled in a fellowship and church.

1 comment:

  1. hey neilson! I am glad that I get to hear from you while you're down in SD. A lot of things seem to be happening during your first week of school. I would've never imagined that some of the people in your suite were like that...maybe it's because i am too clueless when it comes to these things. i trust that you and the other college freshmen in our fellowship will be bold and make the right decisions. I honestly believe that you guys are really strong people. I know that it's hard and if i were in your shoes, I would not know what to do. I pray that the Holy Spirit will really speak to you and make you strong and make you calm. I believe that God will use the college experience to bring you new insight and opportunities that is beyond my imagination. Hearing about college makes me extremely scared, but if you can do it then i believe that i can do it too =P so don't worry too much about it, I am sure things will get better. I will pray for you xD

    ReplyDelete